Abby's Artwork

I've been doing 'tear art' since I was 16. It's unique and fun, I hope you like it!

Name:
Location: SLC, Utah, United States

I'm sharing my strange hobby by blogging. Tear Art!

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Washington Monument

Washington Monument. The center point of the Capitol, taken from a mental snap shot just as you step into the sun from the Smithsonian Metro. If you ever get the opportunity, stand at this point and pretend you are sitting in the tree at the center edge of the Mall. You'll see this. I walked out to the center of the Mall, mentally deleted the tree, and started doing sketches. I sat in the gnarled grass for about 3 hours thinking and sketching in a lined notebook. This is among my favorites because it reminds me of all the feelings, ideas, etc. I had in that busy, creative city. When I was stressed out, alone, freaking out about the Metro getting blown up, or whatever, I could get lost in this. What I loved most about DC was, from our neighborhood, it was only an hour and $1.35 away from the National Gallery of Art in the Smithsonian. The first neighborhood we lived in is in the background, Rosslyn. I wasn't a big fan of Rosslyn. It's across the river, or the Memorial Bridge from the Washington Monument. I guess the sparkly blue paper could be the Potomac, but I don't think it's been that color since Washington actually lived at Mt. Vernon. This piece is about 22 in. by 28 in. The original was sold to Spencer Stokes after being FedEx-ed home from DC. I believe he has it displayed in his office, Stokes Strategies, in Salt Lake City. Among the prints sold, one is in Senator Bennett's media office and in the office of one of my favorite professors at Utah State University. Prints available. Copyright, Abby Evans 2004

3 Comments:

Blogger eleka nahmen said...

I *LOVE* this one. It's definitely one of my favorites. Ahh, Rosslyn... I miss Rosslyn... There's just something about living amongst high-rises in the best little chunkage of America there is that changes you forever. Well, so does everything about said little chunkage.. But, as everyone knows I could pontificate for hours on the glories of DC (and its surrounding areas), I shall promptly shut up :)

1:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Abby! You're amazing. I love both of those pictures--it makes me miss D.C. so bad! You are so talented. I'd love to see more.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Abby said...

Hey Becky,
I'll post more weekly or so. I could also email others to you.
Thanks for looking at this!

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

<< Home