Abby's Artwork

I've been doing 'tear art' since I was 16. It's unique and fun, I hope you like it!

Name:
Location: SLC, Utah, United States

I'm sharing my strange hobby by blogging. Tear Art!

Sunday, October 09, 2005

Introductions: City Scape

My introduction piece: I call this one City Scape. It's older, about 2002. So, we can start from the beginning. I did this one on the floor of my mini Logan apartment. My new roommates at the time didn't know I liked to cover the floor in scraps, but they were cool about it. This one is 28 in x 22.5 in. Prints available. Copyright, Abby Evans, 2002 ******************************* As I build a proper website for my artwork, I thought this would be a great forum to start from. I will be posting images of my artwork at least weekly so my friends, family, and other interested parties can view them, comment, and enjoy. I will also be including who the owner may be, dimentions, print availability, pricing, ideas to come, crude sketches, and interesting photos that may turn into "tear art." What is "tear art?" "Tear art" (tear as in ripping, not crying) is the complete masacre of heavy magazine paper to use the colors as an impressionist artist might use oils. I appreciate the quality of Vogue, National Geographic, and InStyle mostly. I like many mediums, but this precise form of collage is my favorite. There's nothing better that destroying a magazine and putting it back together better than you found it. I have many pieces, most are quite large. The smallest is among the most recent, measuring 15 in x 15 in. The rest are about 24 in x 30 in, give or take a few inches in any direction. Favorite artists: Van Gogh, as most people often comment, Monet (of course) and Mattise. Maybe one day the Marilyn Monroe of our time, who ever she may be, will hang a couple of my pictures up side down in her NY apartment. I do have two works of art in the media office of US Senator Bob Bennett in DC, the first in the hallway of Lehi High School, and several in the homes and businesses of good friends and family. My mother is my gallery curator, as her house is wallpapered in this stuff. I hope you enjoy this site and visit often. When the 'real thing' is going, I'll let you know.

5 Comments:

Blogger Star said...

Found you through your comments to Eleka, and must say am quite excited to see "tear art" in the near future upon this site. Lovely starting point.

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's sweet. The little picture is kinda small, but I couldn't see any words or anything to hint that the scraps had come from a magazine. Do you use the words and pictures or just tears of a solid color?

11:56 AM  
Blogger eleka nahmen said...

I love this one. This is gonna be just a fantastic endeavor.

12:49 AM  
Blogger pinetree said...

I had the same question as el veneno actually. That's really cool. I like the different shades of gray on the table and how the red gets progressively darker as it moves down the building. You're obviously very talented.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Abby said...

Hey, thanks for visiting. I made the next one a little bigger, maybe you can see the texture better.
Sometimes I use words. I just did a new one with a vague 'O' in it, just for kicks. I have a picture with a pair of matching eyes in it. But, mostly I just use colors and textures. You can see the texture in the tree of the Washington Monument Blog best. All scraps come from magazines.

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

<< Home